Wow! What an amazing celebration of Africa Day! Over 360 guests and top dignitaries joined us on Saturday 26th May for our 2018 Africa Day Australia (ADA) Gala Dinner. With a delicious African themed menu, vibrant music, dance and the unique opportunity to network and catch up with friends and dignitaries in a fantastic setting and ambiance, a fabulous time was had by all!
Huge thanks to our sponsors including:
1) Victorian Multicultural Commission
2) City of Melbourne
3) Victoria Police
4) Ethiopian Airlines
5) MFB (Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade)
We all also thank the following who purchased and donated back tickets for youths who could not afford the tickets but wanted to benefit from the invaluable networking experience:
1) Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
2) Ellen Sandell
3) Trent Smyth, Honourary Consul for Malawi
4) Centre for Multicultural Youth (CMY)
We acknowledge and thank the Nigerian and Zimbabwean community who purchased over 5 tables each. Thanks to our awesome DJ Wise King Entertainment and MC’s Tongun Tanza Poni and Fred Alale for a highly entertaining evening. This landmark calendar event would not have been possible but for the hard work and dedication of the Gala Dinner Committee led by Nasilele Mubyana and the organisational leadership from the front by President Shillar Sibanda.
Finally, we thank our dignitaries for joining us and many staying till the very end. Thank you for sharing our special day with us:
1. The Premier of Victoria, The Hon Daniel Andrews
2. The Minister of Multicultural Affairs and Finance – Hon Robin Scott
3. Shadow Minister of Multicultural Affairs Hon. Inga Peulich
4. Acting Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Wendy Steendham AMP
5. MFB Fire Acting Fire Chief Officer – Mr Greg Leach
6. Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human rights Commissioner – Kristine Hilton and adviser Angela Costi
7. Victorian Multicultural Commission Chair – Ms Helen Kapalos and Commissioners – Dr Mimmie Claudine Chi Watts and Mr Sisay Dinku
8. The Lord Mayor of the City of Melbourne Sally Capp, Councillors and staff
9. ECCV Chair and Mayor for Whittlesea – Cr Kris Pavlidis
10. Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Mr Andrew Crisp, Assistant Commissioner Bob Hill, Commander Stuart Batesom APM and their teams
11. Secretary of the Department of Environment, Land, water and Planning – Mr John Bradley
12. Centre for Multicultural Youth (CMY) CEO – Ms Carmel Guerra OAM
13. Commonwealth Bank Executive Advisor Kylie Englehart representing the Multicultural Banking General Manager Huseyin Huss Mustafa Oam
14. Mr Trent Symth, Secretary of Consular Corps Melbourne and Consul of the Republic of Malawi
15. Mr Sunghyo Kim, Consul General of the Republic of Korea and his wife Kye-ja Shin
16. Mr Mohamed Fakhry, Consular General of the Arab Republic of Egypt
17. African Community leaders and representatives.
We also thank the staff at the Peninsula venue owners Atlantic Group led by Managing Director Hatem Saleh for their invaluable support and partnership over the last three years.